I appeal to the members of the House of Representatives.
Please enact House Bill 5043 or the Reproductive Health Bill.
The bill known as Reproductive Health and Population Development Act of 2008 is still pending in Congress and has become a hot issue and ignites clashes of opinion. The Roman Catholic church aggressively campaigned against the bill saying that it is anti-life and against the will of God.
However, not all faithful Catholics blindly follow the call of the Church to reject the bill. Recently, a group of professors from Ateneo de Manila University, expressed support to Reproductive Health Bill. From 14, the number of Ateneo professors who defy the Church on birth control increases to 69 with the addition of another 55.
It is not surprising. More and more people will realize that they need an enacted bill on reproductive health. We need House Bill 5043.
The reproductive health (RH) bill promotes information on and access to both natural and modern family planning methods, which are medically safe and legally permissible.
The bill does not have any bias for or against either natural or modern family planning. Both modes are contraceptive methods. Their common purpose is to prevent unwanted pregnancies.
The bill will promote sustainable human development.
Coverage of Reproductive Health:
- Information and access to natural and modern family planning
- Maternal, infant and child health and nutrition
- Promotion of breast feeding
- Prevention of abortion and management of post-abortion complications
- Adolescent and youth health
- Prevention and management of reproductive tract infections, HIV/AIDS and STDs
- Elimination of violence against women
- Counseling on sexuality and sexual and reproductive health
- Treatment of breast and reproductive tract cancers
- Male involvement and participation in Reproductive Health
- Prevention and treatment of infertility, and
- Reproductive Health education for the youth.
I join the majority who appeal to legislators in Congress and in the Senate to pass the Reproductive Health bill (House Bill 5043).
I am a Roman Catholic. I have strong faith to God as I understood him. But being Catholic doesn’t mean that I will always support what the Bishops say. For now, I stand that I’m on the right path with my strong support to reproductive health bill. And I insist that my stand doesn’t diminish my being a Catholic.